Dick Peffley, who joined the BWL in 1976, was named General Manager by the BWL Board of Commissioners on September 22, 2015. He previously served as Interim General Manager in 2006-7 and 2015. Peffley’s experience at the BWL is extensive, having served in many capacities in the electric and water utilities. He previously served as Executive Director of Operations and was Plant Manager at the Erickson Power Station and Eckert Power Station. Peffley was the project manager for the $182 million REO Cogeneration Plant and Headquarters which came in on time and on budget. He was the project manager for the $23 million repair and refurbishment of the Wise Road Water Conditioning Plant following a chemical accident. Peffley led the Water Department’s efforts that distributed a record-breaking 1 billion gallons of water in a single month to customers during the heat wave in July 2013, and repaired a record number of frozen water lines and water main breaks during the 2013/14 winter’s deep freeze. He led the BWL’s redevelopment effort to sell the former Ottawa Power Station that became headquarters for the Accident Fund. And Peffley was the project manager for the $20 million Chilled Water Plant, which came in on time and on budget, named after his father, BWL retiree Roy E. Peffley.
Executive Director, Operations
Bolan, who previously served as Director of Electric Transmission and Distribution (T & D), has been with the BWL since 1987. Bolan oversees the engineering and operational responsibilities for the generation and delivery of BWL’s electric, water, steam, and chilled water services. Prior to joining the BWL, Bolan worked at Houston Lighting and Power. Bolan has a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from Texas A&M University and a Master’s Degree in Business Administration from the University of Michigan-Flint.
Executive Director, Strategic Planning & Development
Ekren joined the BWL in 2004 as the Associate Attorney and was promoted to General Counsel in 2008 for BWL legal affairs, where she served for 15 years. During that time she acquired several responsibilities, which included Enterprise Risk Management, Real Property Management, Corporate Governance and Environmental Compliance. In early 2019, she assumed a new role in her BWL career as the Executive Director of Strategic Planning & Development responsible for Strategic Planning & Development, Business Development & Marketing, and Real Property Management.
She continues to be a member of the Kiwanis Club of Lansing, having previously served as their chapter president and executive board member, and currently serves on the Board of Trustees for the Lansing Kiwanis Club’s Endowment Fund. She’s also currently on the Highfields Board of Directors and was recently elected to be Chair-Elect for the 2019-2020 fiscal year.
She received the honor of being awarded Boss of the Year in 2010 from NALS of Lansing, and the Athena Young Professional Leadership award in 2011 from The Links, Incorporated of Lansing/East Lansing.
Executive Director, Human Resources
Flowers previously worked in human resources for Accident Fund Insurance Company of America and Sparrow Health System, and teaches human resources at Lansing Community College. Flowers, who has been with the BWL since 2008, also serves in a number of community capacities, including president of the Ingham Intermediate School District Board of Education, Peckham Industries Board of Directors and Capital Region Community Foundation. Flowers has a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Northwood University and a Master’s degree in Labor Relations & Human Resources from Michigan State University.
Matus joined the BWL in 2011 as Manager of Environmental Services and has also served as Deputy General Counsel, as well as Director of Technical Services overseeing the BWL’s energy efficiency, renewable energy, customer service and environmental compliance programs. Before joining the BWL, he spent 25 years as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Michigan. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Grand Valley State College and his Juris Doctorate from Wayne State University. His community service includes being a Big Brother through Big Brothers Big Sisters Michigan Capital Region.
Executive Director, Customer Operations & Communications
Serkaian has been with the BWL since 2012. Serkaian is responsible for internal and external communications, media relations and governmental and community relations. Serkaian previously worked for Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, the Lansing School District, Lansing Mayor David Hollister, Michigan House of Representatives and U.S. Senator Carl Levin. He received his Bachelor of Applied Arts degree in Broadcasting & Cinematic Arts and History from Central Michigan University and Master of Science in Public Relations from The American University Kogod School of Business in Washington, D.C.
Chief Financial Officer
Shawa joined the Lansing Board of Water & Light in 2015 as the utility’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Executive Director. Her background includes serving as the CFO and the Vice President of Operations for Demmer Corporation, a privately held manufacturing company serving defense, automotive and aerospace industries; and where she played a key role in facilitating the company’s growth from 350 to 1550 employees and reaching a sales growth of 400 percent. Shawa’s background also includes serving as the Board President and Secretary of Peckham Inc., a non-profit vocational rehabilitation organization that provides job training opportunities for persons with significant disabilities and other barriers to employment. She also served as a member of the City of Lansing’s Mayor’s Financial Health Team, the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce Board, and is an active member of the Lansing Regional Chamber Political Action Committee and the Big Brothers Big Sisters Board of Directors.
Shawa received her Bachelor of Business Administration degree in accounting from Northwood University and a Master’s of Science degree in business from Central Michigan University. She is active in the community and a proud graduate of Waverly High School.
- Chief Executive Office
- Customer Operations & Communications
- Stephen SerkaianExecutive Director, Customer Operations & Communications517-702-6735
- Amy AdamyManager, Communications517-702-6882
- Deanna SparksLead Supervisor, Customer Operations517-702-6695
- Calvin JonesDirector, Government Relations517-702-6377
- Breina PughManager, Community Relations517-702-7026
- General Counsel
- Human Resources and Training
- Michael FlowersExecutive Director, Human Resources517-702-6264
- CFO and Corporate Services
- Heather ShawaChief Financial Officer, CFO and Corporate Services517-702-6256
- Kellee ChristensenManager, Enterprise Business Program517-702-6831
- Lori PungManager, General Accounting517-702-6426
- Scott TaylorManager, Finance and Internal Controls517-702-6104
- Rod DavenportDirector, Corporate Information Technology517-702-6333
- Bob McDonoughManager, Chief Architect & Enterprise Governance
- Brad TaylorManager, IT Operations517-702-6600
- Strategic Planning and Development
- Dave BolanExecutive Director, Operations517-702-7083
- Wayne LynnDirector, Electric Transmission & Distribution517-702-6532
- Patrick HanesManager, Traffic ECM and Underground and Transmission & Distribution517-702-6731
- Chris KnudstrupManager, System Integrity and Customer Projects517-702-6080
- Andre ManuelManager, Electric System Maintenance, Test & Metering517-702-7009
- Lynn McKinstryManager, Electric System Operations517-702-6234
- Scott HamelinkDirector, Water and Electric Operations517-702-6512
- Cindy LehmkuhleManager, Erickson Plant517-702-6155
- Greg BabcockManager, Emergency Management & Business Continuity517-702-6584
- Geneva VanlerbergManager, Water Production Plants517-702-6544
- Tom DickinsonManager, REO Town/Eckert/Moores Park Plants517-702-6302
- Jerry FloreInterim Manager, Asset Management517-702-6074
- Ray MooreManager, Operational Technology517-702-6732
- Pam MooreManager, Work Management517-702-6181
- Kellie ElfordInterim Manager, Project Engineering517-702-6772
- Rob HodgeDirector, Delta Energy Park Project517-702-6511