The Lansing Board of Water & Light (BWL) and Impression 5 Science Center will hold the annual Adopt A River event this Saturday, May 13 from 8:30am to 1pm at Impression 5 Science Center, 200 Museum Drive in Lansing. Volunteers will help make the Lansing area even more beautiful by helping clean up the Grand and Red Cedar rivers along the 10.2 mile Lansing River Trail.
Admission to Impression 5 Science Center is free on Saturday to those who register and participate in the clean-up. In addition, several varieties of native, potted trees will be given away as part of the BWL’s Plant a Tree in the Right Place program. Participants should bring their own gloves for the clean-up. Complementary, reusable water bottles will be provided to be filled at the BWL Water Station. Lunch will be provided to those who register.
This year’s schedule for Adopt A River is as follows:
- 8:30am – Registration
- 9-11am Clean-up
- 11am–1pm Lunch & Environmental Fair
This year’s kid-friendly environmental fair will showcase exhibitors, including:
- Mother’s Day Craft provided by BWL
- Fenner Nature Conservancy
- BWL Peregrine Falcon Program
- Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) – Water Resources Division & Project Wild
- Greater Lansing Regional Committee for Stormwater Management
- Potter Park Zoo
- MSU Entomology Pollinators
- Michigan Waterway Stewards
Since Adopt A River’s inception in 1994, volunteers have cleared literally tons of litter and the program has earned statewide awards for river stewardship. It has also served as a model for similar river-awareness programs in Michigan.
For more information or to register, go to www.impression5.org.